Oncotarget

Research Papers:

Human papillomavirus subtypes distribution among 2309 cervical cancer patients in West China

Kemin Li, Rutie Yin _, Danqing Wang and Qingli Li

PDF  |  HTML  |  How to cite  |  Order a Reprint

Oncotarget. 2017; 8:28502-28509. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.16093

Metrics: PDF 1100 views  |   HTML 1973 views  |   ?  


Abstract

Kemin Li1,2, Rutie Yin1,2, Danqing Wang1,2, Qingli Li1,2

1Department of Gynecology, West China Second University Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, 610041, China

2Laboratory of Molecular Epidemiology of Birth Defects, West China Second University Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, 610041, China

Correspondence to:

Rutie Yin, email: yrtt2013@163.com

Keywords: cervical cancer, prevalence, human papillomavirus, distribution, West China

Received: November 10, 2016     Accepted: March 01, 2017     Published: March 10, 2017

ABSTRACT

Objective: The prevalence of cervical Human Papillomavirus (HPV) infection in cervical cancer varies greatly worldwide, and HPV prevalence and genotypes in China are limited. The objective is to analyze the prevalence of HPV subtypes in cervical cancer patients in west China as well as the relationships between different histological types of cervical cancer and HPV subtypes.

Results: 2309 cases were included. 90.86% were infected with HPV, and the remaining 9.13% were negative. The most common subtypes were HPV16, HPV18, HPV58, HPV53, and HPV33. HPV16 and HPV18 appeared to be the most prevalent HPV subtypes across all age groups, while the prevalence of the other subtypes varied between age groups. A logistic regression analysis revealed that the occurrence of cervical squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma was most closely correlated to a persistent infection with HPV16 or HPV18, with P < 0.05.

Materials and Methods: The prevalence of 27 HPV subtypes in 2309 cervical cancer patients who received treatment at our hospital between June 2011 and January 2016 was analyzed based on the results of HPV testing using Liquid suspension chip technology (Luminex 200).

Conclusions: HPV16 and HPV18 were the most prevalent HPV subtypes among the cervical cancer patients, followed by HPV58, HPV53, and HPV33. 9.13% of the cases appeared to not be associated with HPV. This suggests that HPV testing without the use of cytology may overlook some special types of cervical cancer that account for approximately 10% of all cervical cancer cases.


Creative Commons License All site content, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
PII: 16093