Oncotarget

Research Papers:

Primary endometrioid stromal sarcomas of the ovary: a clinicopathological study of 14 cases with a review of the literature

Weimin Xie, Xiaoning Bi, Dongyan Cao, Jiaxin Yang _, Keng Shen and Yan You

PDF  |  HTML  |  How to cite

Oncotarget. 2017; 8:63345-63352. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.18805

Metrics: PDF 1528 views  |   HTML 2413 views  |   ?  


Abstract

Weimin Xie1, Xiaoning Bi1, Dongyan Cao1, Jiaxin Yang1, Keng Shen1 and Yan You2

1Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100730, China

2Department of Pathology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100730, China

Correspondence to:

Jiaxin Yang, email: [email protected]

Keywords: ovarian endometrioid stromal sarcoma, low-grade, high-grade, recurrence, prognosis

Received: November 16, 2016     Accepted: June 02, 2017     Published: June 28, 2017

ABSTRACT

Purpose: Primary endometrioid stromal sarcomas (ESS) of the ovary are rare mesenchymal tumors with scarce data on their behavior and optimal treatment. We aimed to describe the clinicopathologic features and outcome among patients with primary ovarian ESS.

Results: The age of the patients ranged from 34 to 61 years (mean: 49.1 years, median: 51.5 years). The most common symptoms were abdominal distention or pain or both. Nine (64.3%) and five patients (35.7%) had low-grade and high-grade disease, respectively. The median duration of follow-up was 65 months (range, 8–311 months). All 9 patients with low-grade ESS were alive, of these, 3 (33.3%) of them developed recurrence after surgery. Only 1 patient (20%) with high-grade ESS was alive with no evidence of disease in a short-term follow-up visit; the remaining 4 (80%) developed recurrence after surgery, and 2 (40%) died of progressive disease.

Methods: Medical records of 14 patients with primary ovarian ESS in our institution were collected and analyzed.

Conclusions: The behavior of primary ovarian ESS is similar to that of their uterine counterparts. Low-grade ESS is an indolent tumor with a propensity for late recurrences. The prognosis of high-grade ESS is poor.


Creative Commons License All site content, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
PII: 18805