Oncotarget

Clinical Research Papers:

Outcomes of metastatic spinal cord compression secondary to primary hepatocellular carcinoma with multidisciplinary treatments

Shaohui He, Haifeng Wei, Yifei Ma, Jian Zhao, Wei Xu and Jianru Xiao _

PDF  |  HTML  |  How to cite  |  Order a Reprint

Oncotarget. 2017; 8:43439-43449. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.15708

Metrics: PDF 1314 views  |   HTML 1357 views  |   ?  


Abstract

Shaohui He1,*, Haifeng Wei1,*, Yifei Ma1,*, Jian Zhao1, Wei Xu1 and Jianru Xiao1

1 Department of Orthopedic Oncology, Spinal Tumor Center, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China

* These authors have contributed equally to this study

Correspondence to:

Jianru Xiao, email:

Wei Xu, email:

Keywords: metastatic spinal cord compression, hepatocellular carcinoma, multidisciplinary treatments, progression-free survival

Received: October 04, 2016 Accepted: January 10, 2017 Published: February 25, 2017

Abstract

Few studies have reported progression-free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS) of Metastatic spinal cord compression (MSCC) patients with primary hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) following surgery and adjuvant therapies. Enrolled in this study were 155 MSCC patients with primary HCC who received surgery and adjuvant therapies between 2000 and 2015. Kaplan-Meier methods and Cox’s proportional hazards regression mode were performed to investigate the clinical features and prognostic factors affecting PFS and OS. The median PFS and OS was 7.0 months and 9.7 months, respectively. 92.9% patients responded well to surgery according to the Visual Analogue Scale, Frankel Score and postoperative complication occurrences. 68 (43.9%) patients who received circumferential decompression achieved better PFS than the remaining 87 (56.1%) patients who received laminectomy. Favorable outcomes were achieved after surgery during the perioperative period. Circumferential decompression was associated with better PFS than laminectomy. The postoperative Frankel Score E, Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance score of 1 or 2, no visceral metastasis, administration of postoperative radiation and the use of Sorafenib were found to be significant predictors of better PFS and OS. Patients who previously underwent resection of primary HCC with/without liver transplantation tended to have a better OS.


Creative Commons License All site content, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
PII: 15708